WooCommerce Product Filter – The Best WooCommerce Filter Plugin?
Running a WooCommerce site can be a daunting task. When you start your business, you learn to manage a small catalog with niche buyers. However, as time goes on, there is an increased demand for managing the site, including providing filters for the visitors to have an optimal buying experience.
In this review article, we are going to take a look at the WooCommerce Product Filter WordPress plugin and how it can help you improve your site for better sales and user experience.
Before we go forwards, let’s get the basics right.
What is the product filter? And why do you need it?
Any average WooCommerce site indeed has tons of products listed. If a customer visits your site, he will become confused and may not find what he is looking for. To ease out the process of searching and narrowing down the search, a product filter is used to provide the customer with the necessary means to find what he is looking for.
If the visitor finds the search process too tedious, they will leave your site for an alternative.
In short, product filters improve the user experience. Without the product filter, your site will lack the necessary way to navigate through the products. A product filter plugin also improves product visibility to a great extent. If your WooCommerce store uses a good product filter, you are bound to see improvement in user satisfaction and growth.
Also read: 21 Must-Have WordPress WooCommerce Plugins
WooCommerce Product Filter Review
Installation And Initial Setup
WooCommerce Product Filter installation is simple. To get started, you need to download the plugin from their official site. It is a paid plugin. However, you can also download the free version to offer to try out the plugin.
To showcase the installation, we are going to use their free version. To install it, you need to go to your site’s dashboard and select Plugins >> Add New. From there, click on “Upload Plugin.”
Once installed, you will see a new menu option available on the dashboard side menu. That should be the Woo Product Filter.
You are now ready to use the plugin!
However, there are some more things you need to do before it is fully useful.
That step includes creating a new filter. So, to do, we have to go to Woo Product Filter >> Add New Filter.
Once there, it will ask you about the product filter name. Let’s name it the “unique product filter.”
After you click “Save,” it will redirect to the filter page that we just created.
As you can see, you can add filters based on multiple options, including price, price range, sort by, and so on!
The full list offered by the free option is as below.
It looks like you get tons of options out of the box — which is a good thing!
So, I tried to add a filter with the price. Once done, it instantly added the option below to set the description and the filter range. If you expand it, you will be greeted with more options, as shown below.
The options that you get with each of these filters include:
- Show title label → this option can be turned on and off for the desktop and mobile.
- Filter skin → You can change the skins for the filter.
- Show price input fields → This will let you show the price input fields.
- Symbol position → You can use it to change the position of the symbol.
- Show currency as → Here; you can show the currency in symbol and code.
- Use text tooltip instead of input fields → Turn it on and off.
Overall, I found the options to be pretty elaborate. For instance, you can show the title label or change the symbol position and let the user input range.
You are free to add as many filters as possible. This means that the complete customization is in your hands.
So, if you want to create a WooCommerce filter by a category, you need to select the “product categories.”
As you can see, there are plenty of options when it comes to product categories. Here, you can virtually change everything that you want. However, some options are locked as they are only available under the PRO version. If you bought the PRO version, then you will have all the options available to you. We will discuss the pricing later in the pricing section.
In short, you need to add as many filters as you like and then use it on your site. If you are thinking how it would look like, then check out the demo page here.
Verdict: It is easy to install and use. So, if you know your requirement then you can get started with the plugin in couple of hours. Also, there are plenty of ways you can customize the product filter as per your liking.
In this section, we will explore what the general settings of the plugin. These settings showcase how customizable the plugin is.
Let’s first take a look at the Main settings option.
Here, you will find the useful Ajax option. If you enable it, you will enable your site to load changes without the need to fully refresh your site. By default, the option is enabled and that’s a good thing from the plugin maker side.
Apart from that, this is the place where you can choose where to show the product filter. You can choose to show all WooCommerce Pages, Product Category, Shop, and so on! The display function further gives you the ability to display filter on all devices, mobile or device.
Another nifty option you get is the Redirect to URL where you can select any of the available pages to redirect to the filter. So, if you are a WooCommerce store, you can use it creatively to redirect 404 pages to a product filter page! This gives your visitors the ability to keep searching for what they are looking for and hence reduce the bounce rate on your site.
Psst..you need a PRO version to use the option.
Other options available include the ability to set mobile/desktop, remove actions before ajax filtering, set number of products per row, and so on!
Buttons, content an loader settings
The other settings are also very elaborate and gives you good number of options. In buttons settings, you get the option to change how buttons work on the product filters setting. You can use it to optimize buttons looks and feel.
The content tab is where you can further refine the way the filter works. For instance, you can enable recount products by selected filter or set text if the search criteria doesn’t matches any results. In case there are too many products to be displayed, this is where you can set Show More option to arrange the products.
The loader tab enables you to customize the loader screen during which the filter fetches the results for the buyer. This option is only available for the PRO version of the plugin.
Designing the product filter
I was also curious on the amount of flexibility the WooCommerce Product Filter offers when it comes to design of how the product filters looks.
Here, I am not disappointed as there are plenty of options to play with. For starters, you get the option to change general styles, but also blocks, titles and buttons.
It also comes with CSS and JS editor for those who want to go extra step to customize the looks of the product filter. However, there are enough options available if you do not want to write custom code to customize the product filter.
If that’s not enough, you can also use Elementor builder to customize it!
Elementor is one of the leading drag and drop builders. They provide a simple way to create and customize pages. Here, you get access to its support which means that you not only create a complete new Product Filter page from Elementor directly, — you can also make the changes on an already created one. In short, WooCommerce Product Filter is 100% compatible with Elementor. So, if you have the Elementor installed, you get access to WooBeWoo product filters directly from Elementor tab. The best way to get started is to read their tutorial on how to get started with Elementor and their plugin.
To sum up everything that WooCommerce Product Filter has to offer, let’s go through its key features below.
- Filter by price, price range, categories, tags and more → As a WooCommerce developer or owner, you get the option to choose multiple criteria for filter. You can create your own custom filter with the required criteria and make it work for your customer. Right out of the box, it comes with the the “Must Have” criteria including Price, Sort By, Categories, Author, Tags, On Sale, In Stock, and so on! On top of that, each of these criteria are customizable and each one of them comes with their own set of options. For visitors, it means they get a lot of options to choose from.
- Automated integration with WooCommerce: The WooCommerce Product Filter plugin is completely compatible with WooCommerce. This means if your store is using WooCommerce, you are ready to use it without any second thoughts. WooCommerce integration also means that you can use different features of WooCommerce with the plugin.
- Easy to setup and customize: We have already seen that the plugin is easy to setup and customize. There are tons of options that you can use to customize the product filter functionality on your WooCommerce store.
- Ajax Support: One of the biggest feature that the plugin has to offer is the Ajax support. It lets the user use the product filter feature, but do not have to wait for the page reload to get the results. The Ajax feature means that only the product section is refreshed based on the choices made by the visitor. It comes pre-enabled. However, if you are having problems with it or have different requirement, you can easily disable it from the settings option.
- Designed to work on different devices: The plugin supports responsive design and that means that it can work equally well on mobile and desktop screens. You can customize to show the product filter on all devices, or only mobile, or only desktop.
- Fully compatible with Elementor: Lastly, it comes with complete compatibility with Elementor. This means that you can customize it without the need to write a single line of code.
When it comes to pricing, it offers three types of license:
- One site – $49
- Five sites – $99
- Unlimited sites – $199
As you can see, you can get started with the WooCommerce Product Filter with just $49 — which is a decent price.
If you opt to create a product filter functionality for your WooCommerce store, then you would easily find yourself spending couple of thousands of dollars just to get the basic functionality right. This mean that you save plenty by choosing a plugin that does almost everything that you would want from a WooCommerce product filter plugin.
What I liked
- Impressive customization options
- You can design the product filter as per your liking
- Ajax support that makes sure that the page doesn’t reload on the use of the product filter
- Great sorting options
- Supports filter and sorting via tags, categories and attributes
- Comes with the option to use custom CSS and JS to further refine the design to match branding and theme
- Free version is useful for new WooCommerce stores, but limited
- Good pricing option
- Excellent loading mechanic that is customizable
- Unlimited amount of filters
- Good online demo to try before going for PRO version
- Comes with support for Elementor builder
- Great documentation and resources
What I disliked
- The options can be overwhelming for some users
- Too many useful options locked under paid version
In the end, it is easy to recommend WooCommerce Product Filter for what it has to offer. The reasonable price also means that you do not have to spend tons of money for the functionality. Its Elementor support also means that you do not have write a single line of code to customize it.
If you are still curious on what the plugin has to offer, then you should try out their free offering where you get access to some of the plugin features. You should also check out the demo page of the plugin where you can experience the live experience of how a visitor will interact with the plugin. So, what do you think, about WooCommerce Product Filter?
Comment below and let us know.