How to Create a One-Page Website with WordPress?
Most businesses run large websites with various pages and complicated taxonomies. However, in many other cases, one-page website design is becoming more popular, for the many benefits it offers. In this article, we’ll uncover when should you use a site like this, and show you how to create a one-page website with WordPress.
Why Use a One-Page Website
So, what kind of project gets the most out of a single-page site?
- Product or service landing pages – if you offer a single or small number of products, then a one-page design is perfect for you. Not only will it allow you to neatly condense everything you need to show the user, but also helps keep their attention.
- Portfolio site – a single-page layout is perfect for showing off your best work, while immediately grabbing the potential employer’s attention. A good design will help visitors get to know you and to get in contact with you as quickly as possible.
- Informational pages – if your site’s purpose is to inform users about a single project, then a one-page layout will present everything the visitor needs to know in a neat and clean format.
Additionally, there are two major advantages you should keep in mind when considering a one-page website:
- Simplicity – visitors can easily navigate the website and access the most important pieces of your content.
- Easy to maintain – by adding very limited content, you need to put minimal effort into site maintenance and updates.
What Makes a Good One-Page Site
When creating your new website, you’ll need to customize many different parts of it. Be ready to make additional changes to the layout of your selected theme depending on what fits your project best. Luckily, there are plenty of tutorials and guides out there to help you out. For example, if you want to remove page or post titles, you can click here to learn more. There are plenty of blogs and sites dedicated to teaching users everything there is to know about WordPress!
What about the content? Conventional websites typically have at least five pages: the home page, service page, about us and contact page. However, when creating a single-page layout site, you still should place all this essential information there as well.
While creating a one-page site, you must not clutter the interface with tons of elements. Instead, focus on the most important ones:
- Call to Action – that’s an easy to see button that encourages the visitor to sign up to a mailing list, purchase your product or to get in touch. It should be clear, short and motivating.
- About Us – in this section, you need to tell some important facts about yourself and your company.
- List of your services and products – depending on what you’re offering, you should put together a list of your products and/or services along with the essential information related to them.
- Social Media integration – have conveniently placed links that will help users track your brand on other platforms like Facebook or Instagram.
- A contact section – dedicate a section to contact information or an email form to let visitors easily get in touch with you.
WordPress One-Page Site Themes
You can utilize any WordPress theme for creating a one-page site. However, the best option is to pick a theme that is designed specifically for the one-page layout. It will save time by including most of the sections and features you’ll need by default. This can be anything from a dedicated email contact form to a CTA button.
Let’s cover some WordPress one-page site themes that will definitely make the site-building process much easier:
Hestia is a free one-page theme from ThemeIsle that offers a modern and professional look. It is suitable for online portfolios, small business, and eCommerce – perfect for a one-page site.
This theme comes packed with many useful features, such as Parallax, Retina Display, and a Travel Map. If you want to tweak the design further, you can use the Elementor page builder and benefit from its unique widgetized footer and build easier with the drag and drop tool.
Are you looking for a simple yet elegant one-page theme? Then look no further than Neve Theme. Its enticing design can certainly make your readers stay longer.
Neve is fully customizable through many page builders, like Elementor, Beaver Builder, and Divi. Furthermore, its wide range of features can accommodate many different kinds of sites, including ones with a single-page layout.
You should try Orfeo theme if you are just starting your online business. This stylish theme is perfect for small shops as it has useful sections for testimonials, feature highlighting, and contacts.
Moreover, Orfeo is widely compatible with most page builders and the design is responsive right out of the box – your site will look great on any kind of screen.
#4. One Page Pro
One Page Pro is a highly customizable theme that allows you to enable your creativity. You can use it for almost every type of website. From corporate to personal resume website, One Page Pro covers it all.
What is more, the theme has one of the most powerful drag and drop page builders and also comes with Revolution Slider. Also, it’s worth mentioning that it has many excellent features like background wrapper options, pre-built pages and blocks, three different view modes, and many more.
Are you looking for a pixel perfect WordPress theme? Uncode Theme may be the one that you are searching for. It has an ultra-smooth, clean, and modern layout compatible with almost any type of design.
This theme has more than 70 different demos that you can upload with one click importer and start designing right away. Also, Uncode has a feature not found in any other theme. It’s the Content Block. It allows users to build custom content sections and apply them to different parts of the site like footers, headers, or pages.
Steps to Create a One Page Website with WordPress
Creating a one-page website is easy. All you need to do is just following these steps:
Step 1: Creating A WordPress Website
If you want to have a one-page website, it’s recommended to get a self-hosted content management system (CMS), such as WordPress.org. So, you can freely tweak and tune all of your website aspects.
To do so, you need to subscribe to a hosting provider and register a domain name for your site. Pick a reliable and affordable hosting provider and a unique domain name.
Once everything is ready, simply install WordPress from your hosting control panel.
Step 2: Activating the Hestia Theme
Once you’ve installed the CMS, it’s time to choose a theme that supports a one-page layout. Let’s say you’re going to use the Hestia theme, here’re what you should do:
1. On your WordPress dashboard, head over to Appearance -> Themes.
2. Click on the Add New button.
3. Once the Add Themes page is loaded, look for the Hestia theme.
4. Select on the theme preview, install and activate the theme.
Step 3: Customizing the Appearance and Sections
Now that you’ve got a one-page layout theme, it’s time to customize your website look and the sections that should be presented. Follow these steps on your WordPress admin dashboard to do so:-
1. First thing first, create a Homepage for your site’s front page display. Do so by heading over to Pages -> Add New.
2. Create a new page called Home.
3. Once published, go to Settings -> Reading.
4. Change your front page display with the newly created Home page as a static page.
5. Once the settings are saved, head over to Appearance -> Customise.
Here you can tweak and tune the look and every section of your site. No matter your logo, background, site identity, header, footer, widgets, blog, menus, or custom CSS, all of these aspects can be customized here. Feel free to add additional plugins as well. For instance, you can install a contact form plugin to add a contact form.
Now that your one-page WordPress site is ready to be used, don’t forget to fill it with quality content and useful sections for your visitors.
Over to You
One-page websites become increasingly popular nowadays. The most common examples come from product landing pages, portfolios, or informational site.
People prefer a one-page website because it’s simple and easy to manage. The content is also not difficult to make and saves the visitors time by showing only the most important info.
If you are looking for a great one-page theme, our top recommendations are Hestia, Neve, and Orfeo. They have exquisite and responsive designs and you can customize them with popular page builders to ease the creation process!
Good luck making your own one-page site!